Google external authentication provider for nopCommerce. Give your customers possibility to choose the way which they will register and login in your store. It will save their time, which will pay off over time.
Creating Google App
We need to create a new Google app on Google API console. Navigate to https://console.developers.google.com/projectselector/apis/library and log in using your Google account. If you do not have a Google account, you need to create one. You cannot proceed without a Google account. Once you have logged in, you will be redirected to API Manager Library page, similar to the one shown below.
Click on Create button to move to “New Project
” page where you need to create a new project. The “Project name” field will be populated automatically with a default name provided by Google. If you want then you can override that with your own custom name. For this tutorial we will be using the default name. Accept the terms of service and then click on Create
Your project will be created successfully and you will be redirected to API Library page similar to one shown below.
Search for Google+ API in the search bar and select Google+ API from the search results. Refer to the below image
After selecting the Google+ API option, you will be redirected to a page as shown below, where you need to click on the Enable button.
After this the Google+ API will be enabled and you will be redirected to API home page. Click on Create credentials
button on the right side of page to configure the secrets for your API.
You will see an “Add credentials to your project” form.
This form has three sections.
Fill in the details of the sections as mentioned below
Section 1 - Find out what kind of credentials you need
- Which API are you using? - Google+ API
- Where will you be calling the API from? - Web server (e.g. node.js, Tomcat)
- What data will you be accessing? - User data
And click on What credentials do I need
button. You will be redirected to section 2
Section 2 - Create an OAuth 2.0 client ID
- Name – The default value provided by Google.
- Authorized redirect URIs - Give the base URL of your application with /signin-google appended to it. For this tutorial the URL will be http://yourstore.com/signin-google. After entering the URL Press TAB to add the value.
After this click on Create client ID
button. You will be redirected to section 3
Section 3 - Set up the OAuth 2.0 consent screen
- Email address– Select your email address from the dropdown. This value is masked in the above image for privacy.
- Product name shown to users – Enter any product name. Here we are using “AuthDemo” as the Product name.
Do not use the word "Google" in your product name. You will be prompted with an error and you won't be allowed to create the app. This means "GoogleAuthDemo" is an invalid name.
Click on continue.
Your credentials have been created successfully. Click Download to download a JSON file to your local machine with all your application secrets, and then click Done to complete the process.
Open the just downloaded client_id.json file and make a note of ClientId and ClientSecret field. We will need these values to configure Google authentication in our web app.